What is it?
Officially called ARI - Residence Permit for Investment Activity, but is commonly known as "Golden Visa" or "Gold Visa".
It is a citizenship and residence program by investment, and is currently the most attractive residence program in Europe, which makes it possible for non-European investors to obtain a permanent residence permit in Portugal and free movement in most European countries (Schengen Area). Later, it is possible to obtain Portuguese citizenship.
- No additional visa will be required to enter in Portugal or the Schengen Area
- Being able to live, study and work in Portugal, even with residence in a different country
- Short minimum stay periods
- Possibility of permanent residence
- Extended benefits to family members
- Access to social protection, health care and public education, including access to universities
- Possibility to apply for Portuguese nationality, after the end of 5 years, entitled to Portuguese passport
How to get?
Before submitting the Golden Visa application, it is necessary to invest in one of the following options:
Know all changes starting January 1st, 2022, here.
Until December 31st 2021:
1. ACQUISITION OF A REAL ESTATE PROPERTY (the most common option)
- Investment in any type of property
- Acquisition of one or more properties, in the amount of at least €500,000 or
- Acquisition of properties over 30 years old or located in an urban rehabilitation area, with rehabilitation works, in the global value equal to or greater than €350,000
- For own or secondary housing (vacation, rental, etc.)
- Possibility of co-ownership
- Possible to reduce the above values by 20%, if the property is located in low population density areas (less than 100 inhabitants/km2 or GDP <75% national average)
2. CAPITAL TRANSFER
- Transfer of a minimum amount of €1,000,000, with abroad origin to a Portuguese bank; Or
- Transfer of a minimum amount of €350,000 to public or private scientific research institutions; Or
- Transfer of a minimum amount of €250,000 for investment or support artistic production, recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage; Or
- Transfer of a minimum amount of €350,000 applied in the units acquisition in investment funds or venture capital, for capitalization of small and medium-sized enterprises; Or
- Investment in an existing company registered in Portugal, with a minimum value of €350,000 to include or increase share capital and create at least 5 permanent full-time jobs for a minimum period of three years
3. JOB CREATION
- Creating a minimum of 10 new jobs
- No mandatory minimum value for investment
- No limitations on areas or professional activities
The residence permit will be granted for a period of one year, renewable for two successive periods of two years, provided if:
- Make and maintain the investment for a minimum period of 5 years
- Stay in Portuguese territory of 7 days (followed or interpolated) in the first year and 14 days (followed or interpolated) in subsequent periods of two years
- Not having a criminal record
Who can benefit?
Any citizen who does not belong to the EU (European Union), EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland.
Family reunification may be requested, with an extension of benefits to the family, in addition to the investor:
- Spouse or legal partner
- Children under 18 years of age
- Dependent children under 26 years of age, if single and enrolled as students
- Parents for any of the spouses who are over 66 years of age (or 55 and are dependent)
- Siblings under the age of 18, from any of the spouses or partners, if legally responsible.
Guide for submitting the application
- Decision on what type of investment
- Prepare and gather all documentation
- Get NIF (Portuguese tax identification number)
- Opening of a bank account in Portugal
- Transfer of capital to be invested to the Portuguese bank account in Portugal
- Hire a health insurance in Portugal
- Make the investment before the Golden Visa application
- Apply for Golden Visa with SEF (Foreign and Border Service)
- The remaining process continues with the SEF
All documents must be original (or certified copies) and translated into Portuguese (by authenticated translation).
- Copy of a valid passport and travel documents;
- Deed or contract of purchase and sale of the property;
- Bank statement in Portugal proving funds transfer;
- Portuguese health insurance certificate;
- Criminal record, issued by the competent authorities in the country of origin.
If you wish to make the investment by acquiring a property, as a natural person, it will be subject to the following taxes:
IMI - Municipal Property Tax
IMT - Municipal Tax on Onerous Real Estate Transactions
IS - Stamp Duty
Learn more about these taxes
When establishing tax residence in Portugal, you can also benefit from the income tax regime for Non-Habitual Residents (NHR).
Learn more about this tax benefit